[mythtv-users] Lossless MPEG2 transcoding in 0.25

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Mar 27 14:40:13 UTC 2012

On 27/03/12 13:28, Joe Nyland wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tearing my hair out over the past few days, whilst trying to figure out how I can transcode selected recordings from MPEG2-TS to MPEG2-PS, for playback on a few of the TV's in our house via UPnP.
>
> As far I have been able to make out, on my system at least, you are unable to setup a transcoding profile that transcodes MPEG2-TS to -PS.<<  Is this correct? - I've seen conflicting posts on various forums, but my system does not give MPEG2 as a target format.
>
> I messed around with the options available in the transcoding profiles, but the only output file I could get was a .nuv file, which is no good for the target UPnP TVs. I even ticked the 'lossless transcode' option too, but this didn't give an mpg file as the output.
>
> So, I focused my attention on mythtranscode which, as far as I could make out it would allow me to perform the transcode I'm after. I used this command to try a transcode:
> mythtranscode --starttime $STARTTIME --chanid $CHANID --mpeg2 --showprogress --honorcutlist
>
> This appears to work, but the target is created alongside the original, with a .tmp suffix on the filename and doesn't replace the original file with the transcoded version.
>
> Can anyone offer any pointers on what I'm missing here please? I feel like I'm missing something really basic. If there's any other info you need that I've not provided, please let me know - I'm not sure what else is applicable.
>
> Here's my MythTV version:
>
> MythTV Version : v0.25-rc-79-g40917b8
> MythTV Branch : master

This looks to me like a 'bog standard' lossless transcode, which used to
work out of the box for dvb-t (but not dvb-t2) recordings;  I haven't
used it for years because it used to fail occasionally with 'one buffer
is full...' messages.  I know some work has been done recently on Master
that may have improved matters; I haven't tried it yet in 0.25  Now I
use mythcutprojectx to do the same job, but it isn't integrated into the
myth framework as closely as mythtranscode is supposed to be.  It just
sounds as if the final rename isn't working for you.  I'm afraid I've
forgotten the details but ISTR the auto profile was appropriate - and
just hit 'X'

John P