[mythtv-users] Upgrading from pre-0.22 MythTV versions

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 17:27:18 UTC 2012

On 3/26/2012 5:00 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> I've been pondering this for a couple weeks, ever since I saw Mike's
> commit of 2012-03-09T15:20:56-08:00 and his message re "Upgrad failing
> from schema 1214 to 1265)" [sic].  This is a new thread 'cause I'm not
> sure if very late replies to old threads typically get seen.  Sorry if
> this is a bit long, but thanks for whatever you can clarify.

<SNIP>
> (e) Taking Ubuntu as an example, will LTS releases (either Canonical's
>      or MythBuntu's) inhale the bugfix you made to 0.24-fixes any time
>      soon, and do they need to, or will users have to install an old
>      distro, install 0.24-fixes, install dependencies, then hand-
>      recompile and hand-patch so get the fix just so they can upgrade,
>      all so they can then finally install a more-modern distro (e.g.,
>      MySql 5.5 instead of 5.1, or whatever) and 0.25?  That's an
>      enormous barrier and a lot of work and if they're asking questions
>      all the way along, it sounds like a worse support problem than
>      just trying to make such things work in master (and fixing master
>      as you go, as people trip over issues).
<SNIP>

> It'd be nice to get some "best-practice" advise on how to do this,
> but I'll stop here for the moment.  Thoughts?

I share this same concern.  I'm running 0.21-fixes.  At some point, I
will upgrade.  I never have time for it, and with each new version,
features that I use are reported broken, but will be fixed in a follow
on release, so I continue to wait.  At some point, I will be forced to
update due to the underlying OS no longer supporting the other
applications that I run on my frontend (primarily Hulu Desktop).

So I installed mythbuntu 11.10 (0.24.2 I think) in a virtual machine on
my main desktop.  When the day comes for me to upgrade, I plan to use
that VM to upgrade my 0.21-fixes DB to 0.24, and then the version to
which I'm upgrading to convert that.  Should I expect this plan to work?
  The only thing that I really want to preserve is my recording history.

Jay