[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime - Some Comcast Extended Basic Record, Not Others

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Sun Mar 25 21:09:00 UTC 2012

I recently purchased a HDHomeRun Prime to run beside my HDHomeRun on
my home myth system. While clear QAM recordings off of the HDHomeRun
work as before, I am able to record some Extended Basic channels like
USA or FOOD but can record others like HISTORY off the HDHomeRun
Prime. Can you help?

Here is the technical detail:

# rpm -qa | grep mythtv-backend
mythtv-backend-0.24.2-279.fc15.x86_64

# uname -r
2.6.42.9-2.fc15.x86_64

Both devices are installed on my home LAN which is managed by a
DD-WRT router. Internet service is provided by Comcast and both
devices are always assigned the same LAN IP address through
MAC-based, statically assigned DHCP IP address allocation.

I reconfigured both devices to function on my MBE server via
mythtv-setup in accordance with the "Configuring MythTV for the
HDHomeRun Prime" wiki.

After procuring and installing a Comcast CableCARD into the HDHomeRun
Prime, I called Comcast technical support to have them issue a
grandslam hit aka cold hit aka DAC Init "hit" to the HDHomeRun Prime.
They did, several times.

I also reran scte65scan (scte65scan -H <name_of_device> -p -f4,<x> -V
3061 us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256 > <Z>vct.sql) for
both devices where <name of device> was obtained from:

$ libhdhomerun/hdhomerun_config discover

<x> is the sourceid (1) for the Extended Basic encrypted channel set
for the HDHomeRun Prime and then for the sourceid (2) for the
unencrypted channel set for the HDHomeRun. I then installed those
updates where <Z> added either QAM- or EB- to designated the
different channel sets to mythconverg per the scte65scan wiki.

I then checked in mythweb to see that everything looked OK (which it
did). When a TV show was scheduled to be recorded it was was
designated to use the correct device (HDHomeRun for clear QAM and
HDHomeRun Prime for encrypted Extended Basic).

Now, when I try to record some Extended Basic channels like USA-W or
FOOD off of the HDHomeRun Prime, the recording starts but no bits get
written to my backend store. No error messages that I can find get
logged. Other Extended Basic encrypted channels like HISTORY record
just fine. All clear QAM recordings from the HDHomeRun work fine as before.

I am dead in the water and at a loss as to how to proceed to resolve
this. Any ideas?

-- Mache