[mythtv-users] 0.25 and V4L not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 24 17:38:11 UTC 2012

On 03/24/2012 01:33 PM, Anthony Messina wrote:
> On 03/24/2012 12:22 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Anthony,
>>
>> Even though you've already "fixed" this by editing the DB, please try
>> (only) the capture card portion of:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>>
>> (specifically, the paragraph starting with, "If you ever change capture
>> cards or capture card drivers..."--and not the "Delete all video
>> sources" stuff) to delete all your capture cards and re-add them and
>> make sure they're configured correctly by mythtv-setup.  (We need to
>> ensure that these devices will work for everyone without direct DB editing.)
>>
>> Note that in doing "Delete all capture cards," you won't lose your
>> channels or your video sources, so you won't have to rescan for channels
>> or anything.  You'll just be redefining your capture cards and
>> re-connecting your inputs.
>>
>> Also, anyone who upgrades to 0.25 should likely do a "Delete all capture
>> cards" and then re-configure them to ensure they have proper recording
>> and Live TV order set--especially those who used the "break MythTV to
>> prioritize Live TV over recordings" (where you add capture cards with
>> 2-4 multirec inputs, then go back and add one more input to each card).
>> The recording and Live TV order are new options in card setup that allow
>> you to specify the order in which cards are used for recording and Live TV.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
> Actually, it turned out that the vbi entry wasn't the problem.
>
> I've filed a ticket with the patch that works with the updates in
> v4l2-ioctl where EINVAL has been changed to ENOTTY for unimplemented calls.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10501
>
> This fixes the problem for me with saa7164 (HVR-2250) and analog
> recordings without touching the DB.

Right.  I saw that (and thanks for tracking it down and for the patch,
btw).  I'm just concerned about the fact that your configuration /was/
broken, and want to ensure that mythtv-setup properly configures the
ivtv side of your HVR-2250.

> I'll likely go in and recreate the capture cards anyway in the coming days.
>
> Thanks, Mike.

Thanks.  I'll feel much better about releasing if I know ivtv-based card
creation works properly.  :)

Mike