[mythtv-users] How to update video list when copying over a new video?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Mar 24 14:32:08 UTC 2012

On 3/24/2012 08:49, George Nassas wrote:
>> If you want to use external players, you'll have to use the old local-mount-based video setup
> No, you'll have to wrap your external player in a trivial shell script which strips off the myth junk to get the relative path and prepends something to place that path in your filesystem.

Or better yet, you wrap your external player in a less trivial
application that injects itself into the file access routines and makes
those external players capable handling myth:// URIs and remote
content.  This is the current plan.

>> external player support is likely to be entirely removed for 0.26 (as last I heard, anyway)
> That would be unfortunate as the internal player does badly in some situations.

As mentioned by Karl Dietz, the ideal situation is that you report the
playback issues and let them get fixed, but that takes time, and could
potentially wait until a FFmpeg sync makes it into the next stable
release.  The use of external player as a default is planned for
removal, as well as all the various options for per-extension and
per-file external players.  There will be one single "alternative
player" that can be set and manually called instead of the internal
player through the UI for troubled videos.