[mythtv-users] MythTranscode options

Joe Nyland joe at joenyland.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 20:12:40 UTC 2012

Wow. I made a mess of that. I'm sorry for the previous email.

Here's my second attempt, hopefully this time in a more easier to read format!

Hello all,

I've been looking into using MythTranscode to try to perform a lossless transcode of some of my recordings from MPEG2 TS to MPEG2 PS for playback on one of our UPnP TVs.

Whilst doing some testing with different command line options for MythTranscode, I wanted to see what the "-e OR --ostream" option does. From "mythtranscode --help", I'm told that I can use "mythtranscode --ostream ps" OR "mythtranscode --ostream dvd" depending on what output type I want.

So, it looks like I need to use "--ostream ps" for my particular scenario...

I tried "mythtranscode -i 1006_20120320192800.mpg --mpeg2 -o 1006_20120320192800.myth.ps.mpg --ostream ps --honorcutlist --showprogress" but then I get "Invalid 'ostream' type: ps"

I've searched high and low, but I couldn't find any mention of this option not working for others.

So, I decided to have a look at the code, specifically in main.cpp:

    if (cmdline.toBool("ostream"))
    {
        if (cmdline.toString("ostream") == "dvd")
            otype = REPLEX_DVD;
        else if (cmdline.toString("ostream") == "ts")
            otype = REPLEX_TS_SD;
        else
        {
            cerr << "Invalid 'ostream' type: "
                 << cmdline.toString("ostream").toLocal8Bit().constData()
                 << endl;
            return GENERIC_EXIT_INVALID_CMDLINE;
        }
    }

Now, to my (non-developer, but I've dabbled with code) head, this doesn't look right. To me, the code is expecting "--ostream ts OR dvd", not "ps OR dvd" as the help output says it is.

Furthermore, if I do indeed give mythtranscode "--ostream ts", it proceeds, but I'm not sure if this does actually give me a PS or TS output file -- will check this later to make sure -- however the rest of the code suggest to me that it will give a TS container.

Can anyone verify this behaviour on their end too?

I'm using the following Myth version:

joe at MythTVServer1:~$ mythtranscode --version
MythTV Version : v0.25-rc-35-g15a7daf
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120315-2
QT Version : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libxml2

If the above is indeed right, then I apologise - I am merely trying to give something back to the community - I do not mean any offence with this email.

Cheers,

Joe