[mythtv-users] Out of date documentation on conflicts?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 07:57:33 UTC 2012

Ross Boylan wrote:

>  > As Tom pointed out, your menu theme is going to affect the naming of
>>  menu items. Furthermore, your theme (the regular theme, not the menu
>>  theme) is going to affect the colors used as status indicators.
>My theme is MythCenter-wide 1.1.  The menu theme, which I haven't
>touched, is Classic.
>
>These differences present a bit of a documentation challenge, for which
>no ready solution occurs to me (aside from noting the dependence).
>Given the large number of distributions one probably can't count on any
>particular out of the box default, even if people don't mess with it.

The only way I can think it could be handled would be to leave out
menu paths altogether. Just refer to screens by standard names (with
a note that the menu path is theme dependent), and require theme
developers to have a wiki page listing the standard screens and the
menu path to them - effectively an "index" on where to find each
screen.

A second list (by menu path) giving menu -> standard name conversion
would also probably be helpful for many users, especially if they
have to describe a problem. Saying I do X --> Y --> Z menu selections
is probably less useful to a developer not familiar with the theme
than "Screen Foo".

I suspect most theme developers will already have such a list (though
probably not in neat text form) from having planned the menu
structure for the theme.

I have to confess, that having been a regular lurker, and occasional
poster, on this list for years - I still don't know what most of the
screens are actually called. I also know that they are all in
different places between my two frontends (main one on a TV,
occasional one on my Laptop (OS X)).

--
Simon Hobson