[mythtv-users] Lossless Transcode 0.25

Scott and Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Tue Mar 20 12:12:17 UTC 2012

>>> I don't recall it being that fast previously. In fact, it's why I
>>> decided
>>> to use the frontend in our gym as a SBE to offload transcode jobs to
>>> because
>>> they took so long. They took quite some time on the SBE too.

>>There haven't been any changes that should make it significantly faster
>>or slower. My lossless transcodes have always been disk IO limited
>>rather than CPU limited. Offloading to a remote machine that would have
>>to pull content off a network share, and push the result back to the
>>same network share, would have been all that much slower.

>Actually, I have discovered something a little disconcerting. After
>watching some shows that I transcoded with 0.25 last night and tonight (some
>of them recorded with 0.25 and some on 0.24), there are flashes of vertical
>purple lines on the screen approximately every minute and at every
>commercial transition that was removed. The same issues are not present
>on the recordings before they have been transcoded. I tested playback on 5
>different frontends, different recordings, etc and it's pretty consistent;
>anything transcoded with 0.25 in the last two days has vertical purple line
>flashes every minute or so; everything else is fine.

>It sounds a lot like this http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10110 except
>these are lossless transcodes. Also, the same issue here
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/495911?do=post_view_threaded#495911
>indicates that an ffmpeg update fixed it for him to the point that the
>affected recording were no longer affected, indicating it was a playback
>issue. 4 of my frontends are Mythbuntu 11.10 fresh installs and one is a
>pretty old 10.04 install that has never displayed this behavior before these
>0.25 transcodes.
When reading through ticket #10110, it concludes with "Closing at reporter request. As an aside, this was likely due to the Debian external libmpeg2 insanity.".  I am not entirely sure what the Debian external libmpeg2 insanity is, or what I can try to do to resolve this?  It's pretty bad, it is affecting every single transcode I do to the point that I probably won't be able to do any transcodes other than to try to test the result of possible resolutions.