[mythtv-users] Lossless Transcode 0.25

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Mar 20 00:56:00 UTC 2012

On 3/19/2012 20:50, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>>> Is it just me, or is the lossless transcode in 0.25 RIDICULOUSLY fast?
>>> I queued up 3 transcodes and by the time I finished editing another
>>> cutlist for transcode (and I’m pretty quick at blowing through a
>>> cutlist), all 3 were done.
>> Of course it's ridiculously fast! It doesn't do much of anything.  Aside
>> from re-encoding up to a few dozen frames for each cutpoint, all you've
>> got is some very minor container reprocessing, and a file copy.  Out of
>> an hour recording, you're looking at a few seconds worth of video that
>> needs processing.
> I don't recall it being that fast previously.  In fact, it's why I decided
> to use the frontend in our gym as a SBE to offload transcode jobs to because
> they took so long.  They took quite some time on the SBE too.

There haven't been any changes that should make it significantly faster
or slower.  My lossless transcodes have always been disk IO limited
rather than CPU limited.  Offloading to a remote machine that would have
to pull content off a network share, and push the result back to the
same network share, would have been all that much slower.