[mythtv-users] 0.25 - livetv fails when starting on a specificchannel

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Mar 19 19:24:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 02:40 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Almost definitely NFS misconfiguration, as Daniel mentioned.
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.8 (specifically the
>>> actimeo option).
>> Except as I entioned, I only have the issue when the Always Stream
>> setting is turned on. Thus it shouldn't even be trying to use NFS,
>> right? I didn't notice anything in the logs to indicate it was trying
>> NFS. Turning off Always Stream resulted in it using NFS, and that
>> worked fine.
>
> Right.  If you force it to do something other than default behavior, it
> does what you say, not what it should.

I think you misunderstood my point. You and Daniel seem to be
suggesting is may be an NFS problem, but I was pointing out that this
problem happens when always stream is on, which means NFS shouldn't
have been a factor with that enabled (as far as I'm aware)

>> But for the record, I didn't have actimeo=0 set. I don't think that
>> would have made a difference based on my understanding, but just to be
>> sure I'll try turning the Always Stream on
>
> It should be off.  Off = "do the right thing."  On = "I don't care what
> you think, I know better."  :)

Yeah, but my point was to find the cause of the problem. If theres a
bug there, I'd like to report it. If it makes you happier, then rather
than just force "always stream", I can just unmount the nfs volume to
force it to stream and test it that way. Better :-)

> Wow.  I'll have to find that thread (though I don't use Samba/CIFS, a
> friend does, and I know he has issues with the speed).

The thread was this one:
www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/501485

And I believe the magic line that did it was:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=262140 SO_SNDBUF=262140

My old config had 4096 as the buffer size.

--
Ron Frazier