[mythtv-users] Conflicting channels

Simon Waldman lists at firecloud.org.uk
Fri Mar 16 22:23:41 UTC 2012

First of all, thanks to whoever mentioned the vdpaustudio option -
this made things look right again.

The next order of business for me was to address the fact that
although the EIT system worked for most channels, there were a few
that were showing "NO DATA". I thought I'd try setting up the Radio
Times xml feed. I now feel like the guy in http://xkcd.com/349/ .....

For simplicity's sake I deleted my existing video sources and created
a new one. I faffed with the XML stuff for an hour or so, but couldn't
figure out how to make it work. Unfortunately there seem to be about a
million different HOWTOS and sets of instructions around, all of which
refer to a different version of Myth and all of which miss out at
least one vital step that they thought was obvious ;-)

For the sake of having a usable system, I decided to put things back
as they were. I deleted the video source that I was using for the XML
attempts and re-created my two old ones. Then I tried to scan for
channels for these.... and I was told that each one had ~35 duplicate
channels. These were basically two copies of every BBC channel. After
a little while of trying to sort things out, I just kept hitting
"suggest", and I now have my BBC channels on strange channel numbers,
and often in two different places.
This didn't happen when I set things up before...

What's going on, please?

My uninformed guess is that maybe it's picking up the BBC multiplexes
on different RF channels from two different transmitters, hence the
duplication... but even if that's right, I don't know what I can do
about it? It all seems a little... arcane?

Thanks for any advice.