[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates failing

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 20:23:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 03/15/2012 11:14 AM, Brian Long wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Brian Long wrote:
> >
> >> I've just noticed TWC changed a bunch of channels a few days ago, so I
> >> have some bad recordings.  I'm primarily using a STB + HDPVR with
> firewire
> >> channel changes (stb-command)  I tried running the following:
> >> --only-update-channels
> >>
> >> TLCHD should have moved from channel 275 to 1258 according to
> >> SchedulesDirect lineup data, but it didn't.  MythWeb Listings and
> channel
> >> settings still shows it at 275.
> >>
> >> I'm running v0.24.2-20-g0006ba7.
> >>
> >> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'd rather not update the
> >> channel settings manually.  Has anyone figured out how to be notified
> when
> >> lineups change like this?  Thanks!
> > I ended up pulling up a browser to SchedulesDirect and another tab to
> > mythweb to edit the channels manually.  I'm not sure of the best way to
> run
> > mythfilldatabase when channels in a lineup move all over the place.  The
> > above command definitely didn't work for me.
>
> What you ended up doing is actually best.  Other options included
> deleting the incorrect channel(s) and letting mythfilldatabase re-add
> it, or just deleting the video source and then re-adding the video
> source and using Fetch channels from listings provider to re-populate it..
>
> The --do-channel-updates argument is extremely course-grained in its
> messing with channels, and can break things in your configuration.
> Deleting a channel or two and letting mythfilldatabase re-add the
> channel(s) ensures you only affect the channel(s) that are broken--so
> all your other channel configuration remains correct.

It stinks that there's no way to know when a lineup change is about to come
and screw up the recordings.  I asked SchedulesDirect if they could notify
me when a lineup change occurs, but they cannot at this time.

I've not been checking the exit status of "mythchanger" with the 4250HDC,
so MythTV just records blindly.  I've just added logic to my channel-change
script to log if it exits with non-zero and "exit 1", but I'm not sure
mythchanger can detect failed channel changes.  I'm looking forward to
trying 0.25's internal firewire channel changer with the HD-PVR and see if
it's any better with error conditions.

/Brian/