[mythtv-users] 0.25 mpeg2 lossless transcoding works again! hallelujah! except...

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:30:14 UTC 2012

On 3/13/12 11:02 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> that's what I'm getting at, the old location
>> Utilities/Setup>Setup>TV Settings>Recording Profiles>Transcoders
>> no longer exists, and I can't find anything similar, I believe I've
>> gone through all the setup screens now available.
>> as best I can tell this is no longer possible in 0.25.
> I think it got moved to mythtv-setup because the backend does the
> transcodeing, so it's backend setup.  The upside is it makes more sense
> and allows users to configure even if they choose not to use a useful
> frontend, but the downside is you have to shut down mythbackend to
> change it.
>
> Mike
Moving it to mythtv-setup is the wrong direction IMHO.  I feel it's bad
design to move more things to that interface backend.  There really
should only be *one* graphical interface for Mythtv (not two!), with all
setup screens within it.  The mythtv-setup should be able to but run in
text-only mode for the very basic setup (DB setup) and then use the
frontend for further configuration like provider, card, channel setup,
etc.  Without this, you can't run a windows-less backend and that feels
to me like it defeats the purpose of having a split between frontend and
backend.  This might end up driving me crazy enough to go about adding
this improvement to the development tree for 0.26.

-JK