[mythtv-users] Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe CK804 + Realtek 850 onboard sound in myth 0.20 - 0.25

Richard Dale richard at interlink.com.au
Wed Mar 14 11:44:38 UTC 2012

After probably a dozen hours of fiddling with settings within mythtv,
different asound.confs, etc., trying to initialise the SPDIF with iecset
audio 1 playing sounds, iecset audio 0 etc. I just gave up this weekend.

By "gave up" I mean I went out and bought a $12 5.1 channel card
(A-Power 5.1 which uses the C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 chipset).

Now everything in Myth "just works".

Upmixing to 5.1 sounds better than ever before (since the digital FTA
channels in Australia are typically encoded as two channel only).

Alsa's support for the onboard sound card is buggy and has been for
years.  If you have a similar sound setup, grab yourself a $12 sound
card and say goodbye to hours of wasted time.

Just thought I'd make this post to help others as frustrated as I've
been over the years.