[mythtv-users] Poor playback performance on Mac mini

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 07:54:27 UTC 2012

Joe Nyland wrote:

>>On the contrary.  It means you are using one full core of that
>>2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, and hitting a wall because something is single
>>threaded.
>>

>Well, I say 50% - what the activity monitor of Mac OS shows is that
>both cores are running at around 50%.

Can be much the same thing. The (single thread) task may well get
switched between cores, so while it's limited to 100% of one core, it
isn't the same core all the time and once averaged a bit (for display
purposes) it appears as 50% each on two cores.
If you run "top", what process/program is using the CPU ? That might
help someone with deep knowledge of the code to coment.

>>>RAM usage hovers around 2GB mark on my primary frontend.
>>>

>>Well that simply doesn't sound right.  Even at 1080p and an artwork
>>intensive theme, you shouldn't be hitting half that.  Are you
>>reading the resource usage, or the virtual memory allocation?
>>

>I've checked my RAM figures and again to get it right:
>
>RAM usage for MythFrontend on my iMac is 205Mb.
>RAM usage for MythFrontend on my Mac mini is around 240Mb.
>

>Please disregard my 2GB RAM figure from before.

It's easy to get that wrong. Like most modern OSs, Linux will use any
spare RAM for disk cache - so once you do a bit of I/O then you are
almost guaranteed to see all RAM "in use". If you cat /proc/meminfo
it gives a breakdown of what's been used for what.

--
Simon Hobson