[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Mon Mar 12 20:33:06 UTC 2012

On 3/12/2012 1:24 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 08:53 PM, John Finlay wrote:
>>> Encrypted ISOs are not supported over the internal streaming protocol at
>>> this time.
>> The ISO is not encrypted.
> If you're using libdvdcss when playing back the ISO locally, it's
> encrypted.  The libdvdcss library contains code to decrypt data that was
> encrypted with the Content Scrambling System, the encryption system used
> on commercial DVDs to encrypt them so you can only play them with a
> licensed player in the region the content owner allows.
>
> Note, also, that libdvdcss is not a dependency for DVD playback.  It is
> something a user can install outside of MythTV to decrypt ISOs before
> MythTV gets the data, since MythTV can only play unencrypted
> video--presuming that user is in an area of the world that allows
> breaking encryption used for protection of copyrighted content.
>
> However, libdvdcss only decrypts the data when read from the file system
> locally, so--as Raymond said--encrypted ISO playback isn't supported
> over the streaming protocol.  You'd need to have a "local" copy of the
> ISO--meaning make it available on each frontend using NFS or whatever
> and (I think, for 0.24) set up the directory with the ISOs to use local
> video storage (and I think in 0.25beta, you just need to mount the
> directory on the frontend and it will play it "locally").  ("I think"
> because I don't use MythTV for DVD playback, so I don't know the details
> of configuration.)
>
> Mike

The ISO is not encrypted - it was ripped using software that removed the
CSS encryption. libdvdcss2 is not being when playing back. In fact on
the master backend libdvdcss2 is not enabled. Unfortunately the message
about encryption is a red herring and has nothing to do with the
problem. The same message is displayed when successfully playing the
same ISO from the master backend. The difference appears to be whether
the ISO is streamed from the master or the slave backend.

John