[mythtv-users] Live TV recording file size double size of DVBViewer on Windows 7?

David Crawford davidcrawford83 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 23:45:33 UTC 2012

On 11 March 2012 21:43, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM, David Crawford
> <davidcrawford83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> DVBViewer must be transcoding the recording.  Either that, or you've got
> >> a ton of data coming in over MHEG, that DVBViewer is discarding but
> >> MythTV is storing for later use.
> >

> > DVBViewer is recording files as .ts, doesn't that mean nothing should be
> > transcoded?
> >
> > Also, quite often with Myth data isn't being captured such as Teletext or
> > DVB subtitles. This is not the case in DVBViewer it will capture both
> > everytime and you can select if you want to record those streams or not.
> > What are the possible reasons why Myth isnt capturing these? (apart from
> the
> > fact that the streams are not being carried on the program/channel).
>
> Instead of speculating why don't you run some files through mediainfo
> or similar and see where the differences lie.

Thanks for that, checked out 2 recordings of UK Sky news on DVBViewer and
on Myth. You can see the info for both below. Know idea where the
difference's lie however, can anyone explain why the file sizes are
different and why one has teletext subtitles and the other no? (info says
there are teletext subs but i cant rip them with projectx or open them,
although making another recording straight after had the subtitles and was
a continuation of the same show).

DVBViewer recording:

General
ID                                       : 2026 (0x7EA)
Complete name                            : Y:\02-03_18-58-01_Sky News_News,
Sport, Weather - 60.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 1.33 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 3mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 2 986 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 512 (0x200)
Menu ID                                  : 4704 (0x1260)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main at Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 1h 3mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 2 645 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 15.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.261
Stream size                              : 1.18 GiB (89%)

Audio
ID                                       : 640 (0x280)
Menu ID                                  : 4704 (0x1260)
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 2
Codec ID                                 : 4
Duration                                 : 1h 3mn
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 1 726 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -651ms
Stream size                              : 87.9 MiB (6%)
Language                                 : English

Text
ID                                       : 576 (0x240)-888
Menu ID                                  : 4704 (0x1260)
Format                                   : Teletext Subtitle
Language                                 : English

MythTV Recording:

General
ID                                       : 2026 (0x7EA)
Complete name                            : Y:\mythtv\5704_20120311063000.mpg
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 943 MiB
Duration                                 : 29mn 51s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 416 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 512 (0x200)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main at Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 29mn 51s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 004 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 15.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.395
Stream size                              : 855 MiB (91%)

Audio
ID                                       : 640 (0x280)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 2
Codec ID                                 : 4
Duration                                 : 29mn 51s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 1 726 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -610ms
Stream size                              : 41.0 MiB (4%)
Language                                 : English

Text
ID                                       : 576 (0x240)-888
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : Teletext Subtitle
Language                                 : English