[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Mar 11 21:31:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:36:25AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> I actually disagree that myth is a few years behind XBMC.
>
> Sure, XBMC has a much more fancy UI.. But capabilities-wise, mythtv can do
> more and myth has often be the first to introduce new technologies: VDPAU
> playback, DTS-HD & TrueHD digital bit streaming you name it.

For what it's worth, I totally agree with that.

However, I've found some of the other frontend functionality lacking,
whether it was UI wise, or lack of functionality like streaming amazon prime
videos, or even 'simply' (unfair because it's not actually simple), playing
youtube videos.

Mind you, in an ideal world, that XMBC code would be mythtv modules instead.
I have no idea why it's not, I'm just looking at what's out there though.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/