[mythtv-users] directly driving an STB via a "remote extender" input

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Mar 11 18:09:26 UTC 2012

I have an STB from my cableco.  It's an HUAWEI DC730.  It has an IR
sensor built in but it also has an "IR in" jack (1/8" 3-conductor --
i.e. like a stereo headset jack) on the back of it.  The package comes
with a reciprocal cable that has an IR sensor on the other end.  I
suppose this is for use-cases where the STB cannot be placed such that
the remote can reach the built-in IR sensor.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with driving that "IR in" port
directly.  It just seems stupid, wasteful and more error prone to have
an electrical signal converted to a light signal to pass through the IR
spectrum and converted back to an electrical signal when instead it
could be fed directly by cable, bypassing the conversion to/from IR.

Cheers,
b.