[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Mar 11 17:52:10 UTC 2012

On 12-03-11 01:29 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Now, it seems that you took offense on my honest characterization of my
> experience with mythfrontend and its plugins. Actually mythfrontend is fine,
> and mythtv is very good at playing its own recordings back.
> Playing videos from my collection is ok.
> Other plugins, especially like playing net video and browser related
> functions, are painful on my setup (can't say if it's just for me, or others
> too, but ultimately it's what I can run on my htpc that matters to me obviously).
>
> You see XBMC as competition, in some way it is, but it is healthy
> competition. Both projects are open source, and open source strives on
> competition between projects. There is no reason for you to be defensive
> about it.
> If XBMC really makes a better frontend than mythfrontend, mythtv still wins
> because it remains the backend, and it is a fantastic backend that still no
> one can touch today.
> If XMBC causes mythfrontend and its plugins to become better, that's great
> too. As an example, chrome has caused firefox to get better, and everyone has
> won from that 'competition'.

Well said.

It really does seem dysfunctional to want to stifle innovation of what
could easily be seen as complimentary project to mythtv.  As we all know
from the closed nature of the space (i.e. media) that we want to be able
to work in, this kind of stifling really benefits nobody.  It's a shame
to see it happening.

b.