[mythtv-users] FiOS with Cisco set-top box and Firewire

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Sat Mar 10 21:54:38 UTC 2012

I just upgraded to FiOS, and they provide a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta)
CHS-335 cable box.  The Firewire port is active, and Myth gets a great
signal from it.  (I have it set at 400Mbps in point-to-point mode.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't handle most of the commands.  I found a PDF
file that describes a sequence of tests to verify compliance with the
FCC requirements, and it does respond correctly to the commands.
There's just one little problem.  While the box tells the computer over
Firewire that it accepted the command, it doesn't actually do anything.

The only commands that actually work are:
   Power status
   Channel up
   Channel down

The FCC requirements specifically state that it must support power on,
power off, and tune (as well as mute and volume restore), so I suppose I
should complain to Verizon and get them to escalate it to Cisco, then
update the firmware once it's fixed.  Has anyone else pursued this?

For the test specifications, see
    http://www.1394ta.org/developers/specifications.html
and download 2008003 "USA Set Top Box Test Specification."

I intend to try to get Verizon to get the firmware fixed, even though
I'll probably find another solution, as not recording until it's fixed
isn't really an option.

I suppose my remaining alternatives are:
*) Get Verizon to give me a Motorolla box instead (but my Comcast
Motorolla box didn't work well over Firewire, so who knows?)
*) Get a HDHomerun Prime or other Cable Card tuner
*) Get an IR Blaster.

My initial search didn't find many options for IR blasters--I would have
thought I could find a USB IR Blaster for $5-10, but they seem to be
quite a bit more expensive.  I would appreceiate any thoughts on buying one.