[mythtv-users] MPEG4 bigger than MPEG2?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Mar 10 19:33:44 UTC 2012

On 3/10/2012 13:43, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 09:06 -0700, Tom Hayward wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 20:51, Ross Boylan<RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org>  wrote:
>>> Hi, everyone.  I'm a new user, and am wondering why transcoding is
>>> making my files bigger.  More specifically, I think I have transcoded a
>>> file from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, and it got a little bigger (3.1 vs 2.9GB).
>> The real question is: Why do you want to transcode?
> To save space.

Most people around here are of the opinion that recordings should only
be transcoded for compatibility with other devices, not to save space.
Transcoding is a very CPU intensive prospect, and while CPUs are
continually getting more efficient, hard drives are continually getting
cheaper.  Until the floods last October drove up hard drive prices, an
average HD recording might cost $0.20 of disk space per hour, or maybe
$0.15 after spending a couple minutes defining a cutlist, and a couple
more running a lossless transcode.  Transcoding to H264 while retaining
quality might drop that to $0.05-$0.07, but is going to run at a
fraction of real-time, and eat up considerable electrical power doing
so.  When you consider the cost of the increased power consumption as
compared to putting that machine in standby, or even just idling, the
cost benefit all but vanishes.  It's easier, and only modestly more
expensive, to just buy more hard drives.

> When editing the transcode options (autodetect MPEG2) does selecting
> "lossless transcoding" do the TS->PS transcode?  The description, e.g.,
> "keep audio and video formats identical to the source", sounds as if it
> will not.  If it does not, how do I get the desired conversion?  The
> only video codes I see are MPEG-4 and RTJpeg.

TS and PS are two different types of MPEG2 containers.  A container is
just a wrapper that contains video, audio, and other sundry data
streams.  Think of it like a 'tar' file.  There is almost no CPU usage
to convert between different containers, as the streams are typically
just copied from one to the other.

MythTV only supports encoding to MPEG4 (ASP, not AVC/H264) and RTJPEG.
The "lossless transcode" is somewhat of a misnomer, as there really is
very little transcoding going on.  Mythtranscode clips out the cut
regions, and does some very minor repair as needed around the cuts.
Except for those handful of frames it may have to re-encode around the
cuts, it is just copying the data unmodified.

> What controls whether commercials are deleted from the transcoded
> recording?

Go into the transcoder settings, and set the "Lossless" checkbox to
enabled.  Any MPEG2 (and only MPEG2) recordings transcoded using this
profile will be performed losslessly.  Most people use the "Autodetect
MPEG2" profile for this reason.  Commercials are not deleted from the
recordings, cuts are.  To produce a cutlist, you must go into edit mode
(e) during playback in mythfrontend, and define them.  Commercial
detection is not reliable enough to be blindly trusted, so
mythtranscoder will not use a commercial list.

> Finally, is it possible to set the options for a single recording?

When you queue a transcoding job through the the Job Options menu in
Watch Recordings, you are given the ability to select what transcoding
profile you want to use.  The profile selected in the Recording Options
section is the default profile that will be used for all subsequent
recordings made by that rule.  It is not applied retroactively to
previous recordings made by that rule.