[mythtv-users] Help running mythtv-setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 9 21:09:49 UTC 2012

On 03/09/2012 04:04 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/09/2012 08:57 AM, James Klaas wrote:
>> I'll be trying what Michael Watson said:
>>
>>> ... setting up a Backend only (No Frontend).  I found that I needed to install the frontend package
>>> before I could set the Country/Language properly.)
>> Unfortunately it's things like this that also irritate me, I shouldn't
>> have to install the frontend to configure a backend only.  You can't
>> have mythweather without the front end either.  Why would I need to do
>> that at all on a backend-only system with mythweather on the web
>> interface.  I'm willing to deal with quirks like this, but if I don't
>> know about them, it's pointless.  This essentially a bare install.
>> Whether the software is "beta" or not (the language issue happened in
>> the 0.24 packages too), it shouldn't happen on a bare install.
> FWIW, MythTV does not support any mechanism of having a frontend-only or
> backend-only install.

Probably should have mentioned, however, that we /do/ support
frontend-only or backend-only systems.  The difference however, is that
we support a system where both frontend and backend code is /installed/
but only the desired code is executed.  I.e. if you want a dedicated
frontend, don't run mythbackend.  If you want a dedicated backend, don't
run mythfrontend.  (Installing a program doesn't slow your system down.
Installed programs only use resources, other than HDD space, if you
actually run them.  Or, put another way, this isn't Windows.  :)

Mike