[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 19:10:58 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 01:09 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I spent a fair bit of time getting myth running nicely under F16. The
> problems were mainly due to the fact that myth .24 let the backend run
> as root, and .25 (beta) does not,

FWIW, we didn't change anything that would prevent users from running
mythbackend as root (we realize that decisions by, er, certain distros
to use certain "automatically change ownership/permissions of device
nodes on user login" packages means that root may be the only user
guaranteed access to required devices regardless of who logs in to the
system and when.

>   plus other effects of changing to
> systemd. Alone these were not a problem. My desktop at work runs F16
> nicely. But the backend needs the mythtv user at least added to the
> video and audio groups or a change of the ownership of the /videostore
> folder. Bit of head scratching involved there, as this had never
> happened before. This affects access to the hardware sockets such as
> /dev/video too.
>
> You may have a similar problem. Things are fine from the command line
> when you are root but not so good when running...

Can you give more details on exactly what problem you were seeing?  Are
you sure it wasn't just complaining because you were running mythbackend
in an environment without a HOME variable set?

Mike