[mythtv-users] HTTP live stream and seeking in .25

Ian Bishop ibishop at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:44:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Ian Bishop <ibishop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not an expert but I have noodled around with streams a little and can
>>> pass on what I know. MythTV implements http streaming as originated by Apple
>>> which you can read about in their developer library document titled "HTTP
>>> Live Streaming Overview". At this moment the document lives here & I believe
>>> nearby is a link to a PDF.
>>
>> Sweet, well that's what I wanted to hear!  I would expect the native
>> Android video player to play nicely with the Apple-like stream.
>
> According to wikipedia http live streaming is only incorporated in
> android from 3.0 onwards.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming#Clients

Yes, saw that.  That excludes the majority of Android devices which
are running some flavour of Gingerbread.  However, my interest is only
in building something that I would find very useful and giving back to
the MythTV community in a small way.  My Kindle Fire has an ICS build
on it.

The other option is to use the VLC libraries once they release VLC for Android.