[mythtv-users] HDHR tuners just died?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 7 23:05:07 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 04:09 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 12-03-01 09:08 AM, Paul Stillwell wrote:
>> I have one of the original HDHRs and it looks like the tuners in it just died.
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Loads of people (me included) had the exact same problem.
> Something defective or whatever in that first rev.
>
> Contact SiliconDust and they'll likely offer a discount on a (newer rev)
> replacement,
> if you want one from them.

Check the power wart first. They seem to be the bit that actually fails.
The 'power supply' problems reported in the past *were* power wart
failures, not defects with the box.

I had problems starting a month ago with recordings. In the end it was
two problems: the NIC in my box was dying, AND the power wart was dying too.

Slapped a NIC card into the box to fix the first, and discovered the
second problem, The HDHR would not record two shows at once, although
one was fine, and the hdhomerun_config program disclosed no errors.

Scalped a different power wart off a Linksys ATA unit here at work (5V
2.5A output) and *things are fine*!

The new version HDHR is a little more squat in size and has rounded
sides, and allegedly has better tuners. It may be a little cheaper and
saves you using a splitter on the coax, as one is built in.

Geoff