[mythtv-users] Which nVidia card?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:31:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 00:43, Pieter De Wit <pieter at insync.za.net> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> It had faster ram :) Should have put that in the previous email. The 220
> will do what you need too :)
>
> I wanted to do 1080, with HDMI audio, both the 430 and the 450 "handles"
> it on paper. I can assure you the 450 does. I would not doubt the 430
> can do it.

In 50Hz countries, for deinterlacing, the 430 has been reported
to have enough headroom to work well.  In 60Hz countries, the
430 has been reported to not always be capable of glitch-free
display when doing deinterlacing.  The 220 is an older design,
and while it cannot do HDMI audio, it is a far more capable
card for deinterlacing (more than fast enough for all countries).

Unfortunately, in the nVidia marketing world, while one might
think a 2x0 -> 4x0 -> 5x0 -> 6x0 would imply similar or better
performance, it is not true for all types of uses (deinterlacing
being just one example).  Fermi was definitely worse than
its predecessor for deinterlacing.  AFAIK there have been no
reliable reports as to whether Kepler will be better or worse
than Fermi (although the anecdotal evidence suggests, as
the move to Fermi showed, it will depend on the particular
codes).

Gary