[mythtv-users] find_orphans.py sort of working, sort of timing out

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:57:41 UTC 2012

My slave backend has now lost a second 750GB disk, resulting in a ton of
orphaned recordings in the database. With the help of this list I was able
to install find_orphans.py and get it running on my master backend.
However, I am running into some issues deleting the orphaned recording
entries.

Here's the scenario - Run the script, let it find roughly 1056 orphans.
Tell it to deleted orphaned recordings. It will throw an error that it
can't delete one of the shows and then return me to the interface. However,
the server is busy doing something, because mysqld will sit and use 100% of
the CPU for a minute or so. When it finally dies down and I select the
refresh option in find_orphans, sometimes the number has decreased by a
couple and sometimes it has not.

The master backend is a dual-CPU VM. My feeling is that I'm running into
some sort of preset resource limit, or there's a timeout I need to
increase. I could be completely wrong; this is just a gut feeling. The ESXi
host is running on an eight-core poweredge so I could run as many as eight
virtual CPUs on the VM if it just needs raw horsepower. But, since mysqld
never goes above 100%, I'm not sure if it's actually multithreaded.

Thoughts? If there is more troubleshooting to be done with Mysqld, I'm open
to anything - I'm tired of opening Myth and waiting 40 seconds while it
cycles through all of the orphaned recordings. Thanks in advance.