[mythtv-users] Finding a suitable device for a Harmony remote

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 12:39:51 UTC 2012

On 05/03/12 08:28, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
> Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  writes:
>
>> On 03/03/12 21:12, Larry K wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is what I did.  First, I installed the lircd.conf found here:
>>> http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb  I only needed
>>> the first remote in that list, so I deleted the others.
>>>
>>> Then, in the Harmony software, I found the Microsoft Media Center PC device
>>> and installed that.  Then, through a couple hours of trial and error, I
>>> found out which keystrokes to program into the remote, that are handed by
>>> lirc properly.  Some keystrokes borked in irw, so I had to avoid them.
>>> Once I had that working, I just updated lircrc to map those keystrokes to
>>> myth.
>>>
>> Sounds fine, but I omitted something from my setup that's probably important: my
>> frontend is minimyth (0.24.1-77) and I have no idea how I would change those
>> things, or even if it is possible to run irw.
>
> I'm using basically the same setup. I think 0.77 worked otb with my
> Harmony 900.
>
> When moving to minimyth 0.24.1-78 some mappings changed and I had to
> overwrite some of the defaults. Minimyth comes with irw, so you can use
> this to see what MCE codes the harmony sends and just need to map these
> to some keystroke. I can't get to the details atm, but it should all be
> at the minimyth site.

I /know/ what codes the Harmony sends, because I can set them up via the Logitek
website when I program the device. Unfortunately, the set of codes I have access
to isn't big enough. That's why I asked if there was a more suitable device I
could make the Harmmony pretend to be.

I also tried 0.24.1-78, and it runs like a dog. Menus take forever to display,
and, as you noted, some of the defaults are... not what I would have expected.
Reverted back to 0.24.1-77 to retain WAF.

--

Mike Perkins