[mythtv-users] Finding a suitable device for a Harmony remote

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:12:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 03/03/12 17:10, Tim Draper wrote:

> >> I went the infrared keyboard and Harmony 650 route.  No matter what I
> >> do, I can't get the keypresses quicker than .75/sec so when you are
> >> scrolling, it takes FOREVER.
> >>
> >> I will probably have to pick up a usb ir reader and use lirc to bypass
> >> the problem (Logitech said they can't help me).
> >>
> >> If you are using lirc, just pick any remote, press the keys and use the
> >> program to figure out how to reconfigure the keybinds into what you DO
> >> want.  Just because Menu actually equal Input for some TV that you
> >> picked, it won't matter since you are configuring what that button
> >> actually does in lirc.
> >
> > well i use the MCEUSB interface with mine.
> > mostly because i was familiar and happy with the commandset as i came
> > from w7mc, and the harmony was already setup with it while i was
> > testing mythtv.
> >
> > i use it with the harmony 555 remote.
> > i also use the 'microsoft media center SE' harmony profile (or
> > something like that - it's the advanced codeset that is taken from the
> > MCE keyboard).
> >
> I hunted for something like that - didn't see it in the list. That's
> ideally
> what I'd aim for. Oh, well, back to wrangling the Logitech website :P
>
> Craig hit the nail on the head.

Here is what I did.  First, I installed the lircd.conf found here:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb  I only needed
the first remote in that list, so I deleted the others.

Then, in the Harmony software, I found the Microsoft Media Center PC device
and installed that.  Then, through a couple hours of trial and error, I
found out which keystrokes to program into the remote, that are handed by
lirc properly.  Some keystrokes borked in irw, so I had to avoid them.
 Once I had that working, I just updated lircrc to map those keystrokes to
myth.