[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Sat Mar 3 16:49:18 UTC 2012

Can you at least cat /dev/hdpvr > test.mpg without erroring out?  You say
that Mythtv bombs after 2 minutes.   Why don't you try capturing video
directly for about 5 minutes and see if that works.  This will eliminate
Myth as the issue (I'm guessing that this is going to be a hardware issue).

Other things to try would be different cables from your STB to the HDPVR.
Does this happen for all channels?  Do some channels work while others fail?
You may try locking the output resolution from your STB to 720p to see if
that stabilizes things.

I'm guessing that you are using component video and optical audio.  The
HDPVR has a history of trouble with the audio when used with an optical
connection (search the list).  I personally use an component/optical without
issue.  Make sure that your optical cable is seated tightly, and if it has
ever been bent too sharply it may have been damaged.  Try another if you
can.

Are you sure you have sound on the short recordings that you are left with
before they bomb?  I have also seen issues like this when the optical cable
somehow disconnected itself from the audio in and reconnected itself to the
audio out, all without my intervention because I would NEVER have made a
mistake like that myself ;-).