[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 13:09:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2012-02-29 22:21:49.108 DevRdB(/dev/video_hdpvr) Error: Poll giving up
> > 2012-02-29 22:21:49.114 MPEGRec(/dev/video_hdpvr) Error: Device error
> > detected
> > 2012-02-29 22:22:01.527 MPEGRec(/dev/video_hdpvr) Error: StartEncoding
> > failed
> >                         eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
> > 2012-02-29 22:22:04.528 MPEGRec(/dev/video_hdpvr) Warning: Unable to set
> > audio input.
>
> Whenever I've seen this happen, this fixes it for me:
> 1) disconnect power from the HDPVR.
> 2) rmmod hdpvr
> 3) modprobe hdpvr
> 4) after waiting 15s from 1) above, plug the HDPVR back in
>
> After that, it works just fine for me.

Gavin,

I have tried this as suggested, but it didn't seem to help.

> I think there's likely something odd in the hdpvr driver (could even
> be what was fixed recently) that occasionally causes race conditions
> or something, and it gets itself bent.
>
> I can't see how anything we can do to the device directly would cause
> it to brick, short of an aborted firmware upgrade.  I trust that
> Hauppauge has been very careful to not allow stupid users like us to
> break the hardware by fiddling bits.  It may stop responding, but it's
> recoverable.
>
> Additionally, it could be your USB controller being wonky...  if the
> above steps don't fix it, you could try moving it to a different USB
> port (between steps 2 and 3).

I have tried moving the device around to different USB ports.  Even tried
removing the only other USB device I had attached (mouse).

If there is any kind of verbose logging that I can run to shed more light
on this problem, that I can post here for someone with more insight into
the potential problem, I am all for that.