[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.24.2 and va-api with mplayer

phipps-hutton at sky.com phipps-hutton at sky.com
Thu Mar 1 13:00:04 UTC 2012

Quoting Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
>> ...less heat on the CPU cores while the higher GPU usage means more heat on
>> the GPU core...which in this case is integrated in the CPU :-P
> I'm pretty sure video decoding (not deinterlacing) is performed by a
> custom ASIC - yes, it's integrated into the die, but because it's
> single-purpose hardware I'd expect it to produce significantly less
> heat than a general purpose processor.

There's only one way to settle this - fight! Or someone could measure
the power consumption and let us know. The CPU may well be better
because it will have had more power saving love from the designers and
may be using a different power domain/smaller transistors or it may be
moving data back and forth to it's low power cache rather than the GPU
RAM. GPU's are great at graphics (triangles and textures), that's not
the same as video (copying bits of the previous picture).

Cheers,
Tim.