[mythtv-users] Recovering dead database + new RAID advice

digid myth digidmyth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 22:59:05 UTC 2012

I would not recommend putting the 2tb drives in a raid 5 for your media.
There are multiple reasons for this. One the raid will take for ever to
build in the first place. The chance of a drive going bad on a rebuild are
very high with that large of a drive, especially once the drives start
aging. From a power perspective you will have all the drives spun up at the
same time. You still will not have any type of backup of you data if that
is important to you.

On my system the OS and DB drives are are set up in raid 1, but my media
drives are not. If I add a 2tb drive for more media I add a 2tb drive to
back it up. For recordings it is automatically backed up every day. For
videos and such on the system I manually back it up when I add new DVD's to
the system. You can get a huge amount of movies on a 2TB drive, in my
system the recording drive is only 1 TB. The power use is much lower as I
only have drives up and running if I am pulling data from them, the backup
drives hardly have any time on them. My complete server with 10 TB of
storage is averaging under 100 watts of power, and this is for a 6 core AMD
Bulldozer system. I also do not commit any real data to a drive until it
has run for at least 1 week on the system.

Just my 2 cents worth. I have not updated this with my latest upgrade that
I did about 6 weeks ago, but if you are interested I have much more detail
on the system that it replaced here
http://wentztech.com/radio/Myth/Myth-Server.html

Dale