[mythtv-users] Recovering dead database + new RAID advice

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu Jun 28 14:51:33 UTC 2012

Around about 28/06/12 15:37, David Cunningham typed ...
> I can no longer boot off the disk due to the DMA errors but thus far I
> have been able to mount it in another system and pull data off.

   My first attempt would be to 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' or wherever you have
mounted the root drive (I'd've booted off a recovery DVD in the in original
box;  RedHat-based systems put your whole FS in /mnt/sysimage, dunno much
about Debian).

   You may then be able to run 'service start mysqld' or the equivalent,
then to a mysqldump.

   For sanity's sake, I'd try first with the disc mounted r/o, even if mysql
moans to buggery about it.

   If you know where mysql keeps it's d/bs (/var/ somewhere?) *and* your
target machine is near-identical you might theoretically be able to copy
that subdir. to the new machine and just use it ... but I'd still then do a
dump and wipe it out before re-importing, just to be sure.

   I'm afraid I have no input on recommended FSs, except to make sure you
cut back on logging and the like on the SSD to reduce unnecessary writes
(e.g., things like disable atime updates).

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature