[mythtv-users] Important recoding damaged - anything I can do?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 06:45:41 UTC 2012

On 28/06/2012 07:26, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
>> years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and re-installs,
>> but I now fear that I've lost it for good.
>>
>> I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
>> several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
>> MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but I'm
>> not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do from
>> here.
>>
>> I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
>> trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file (as
>> opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to take a very
>> long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in the job queue the
>> following morning.
>>
>> Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.
>>
>> Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The recording
>> is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I play the
>> recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously tried this
>> several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC from a Windows
>> machine. The file seems to be damaged.
>>
>> I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
>> recovery is possible.
>
> I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
> transcode to nuv?
>
> Anyway have you tried something like
>
> ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv
>
> ?

Hi Nick,

Stupidly, I seem not to have a copy of the file!!

I have just run:

ffmpeg -i 1002_20090627161700.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv

from inside the recordings directory and got this returned:

ffmpeg version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012
the Libav developers
   built on Jun 12 2012 16:37:58 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a
future release. Please use avconv instead.
[nuv @ 0x831f260] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
1000.00 (1000/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
Input #0, nuv, from '1002_20090627161700.nuv':
   Duration: 00:21:24.66, start: 0.040000, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
     Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x576, PAR 64:45 DAR 16:9, 25
fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
     Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1411 kb/s
Unable to find a suitable output format for 'newfile.nuv'

Is that useful?

Thanks for looking into this for me!
Damian