[mythtv-users] 0.25-fixes Watch Recordings doesn't load except for first time after launching on some ION machines

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:21:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> of the 4 ION frontends I have, only two will fully load and release
> from the progress bar every time, the other two will sit with the
> progress bar going and I have to restart mythfrontend for it to fully
> load after the first time going into Watch Recordings.
>
> anyone else notice this?

Recently in Master, there was a several-day performance regression
that resulted in this behavior all the time on all of my ION
frontends.  While the progress bar was animating, nothing else
happened yet the CPU was at 100%.  My theme's base.xml has a section
like this:

        <imagetype name="animation">
            <area>415,340,33,33</area>
            <filepattern low="0"
high="11">images/widgets/busy/busy_%1.png</filepattern>
            <delay>100</delay>
        </imagetype>

Changing the "delay" element from 100 (milliseconds) to something
larger like 300 or 1000 fixed the problem.  Or more accurately, worked
around the problem.

This performance regression never hit the -fixes branch, but whatever
race condition was being hit is probably still lurking in 0.25-fixes
and Master, and may be affecting you.

Jim