[mythtv-users] OT - UEFI, Secure Boot, Fedora and nVidia drivers

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Jun 26 16:40:07 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-26 11:23 AM, George Galt wrote:

> Am I reading this correctly?  If so, does anyone have any thoughts
> about how to address this issue?  If I disable secure boot from
> BIOS/UEFI, would I be able to run unsigned nVidia drivers or would I
> also need to rebuild my kernel to run unsigned drivers?  Is it too
> early to know?

I've been watching it too -- irritated now that Microsoft has strong-armed manufacturers into UEFI ultimately having some level of say in what I do with hardware that isn't even running software from Microsoft.

Unbelievable.

However, manufacturers can still sell hardware without it. (and I'm sure they can sell a identical hardware set that lacks UEFI)

But also, can't nVidia get its drivers signed so they can run in the kernel?

  -Ben