[mythtv-users] Can MythTV play blu-rays?

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:08:17 UTC 2012

> On 26/06/2012 12:29, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 26 June 2012 21:25, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I read that and BD+ isn't supported. I'm trying to find out how
>>> much that matters. Are most current releases BD+, making MythTV a pretty
>>> useless Blu-ray player, or are they fairly rare? Someone out here shoud
>>> know, but getting an answer out of this list is like... well... I don't
>>> know... like trying to get someone to look over a submitted source
>>> patch! :-)
>>
>> Any bluray released in the past 2 years will be BD+

        I don't watch a lot (~15 discs released in the last two years)
but I have not found this to be true.  My understanding is that only
20th Century Fox is consistently using BD+.  I've avoided Fox titles and
I haven't encountered any BD+ discs yet.  It could easily change in the
future, of course.

>> it's not all hopeless with tools like MakeMKV or AnyDVD-HD.
>> I use the later in a windows 7 VM and export the decyrpted image and
>> play it from mythtv.
>>
>> While it sounds complicated, it really isn't.. And from the time I
>> insert a bluray to the time I can play it and see the movie starting,
>> it takes about 12-15s...
>> Compare that with my dedicated panasonic BD player that will take well
>> over 90s to play most title.. and it's a fast one at that !

> Right. Thanks for info. That would be ok for my own frontend, but it's
> my girlfriend's frontend that I'm trying to add Blu-ray support to.
> She'll want to just put in a disc and play it. :-( I'd quite like
> that myself to be honest. I'm guessing you don't have what you describe
> as a completely automated solution.

        Because I haven't had to, I don't use MakeMKV.  However, I still
need to run aacskeys first, so it's not completely automated for me
either (although it's probably scriptable).

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com