[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun Prime v HD HomeRun

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:27:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM, jr <jraymyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a market where only broadcast channels are unencrypted, is there
> any advantage to an HDHR Prime over an older HDHomeRun?

Little (today).  The one advantage *might* be that if you get the Prime
and a CableCard you would not have to do the frequency/programid
dance (tracking changes by your provider and updating the database).
Of course, renting the CableCard has a cost too (usually), so updating
the database is usually cheaper.

In the future, there are some proposed FCC rules that your provider
might take advantage of so that you will need a CableCard (or STB)
even for the broadcast channels, but that is all conjecture (both the
FCC ruling, and whether your provider will take advantage of them).
I would not base a purchasing decision today on what might be in
the future (since by then, everything may be different all over again).

Gary