[mythtv-users] unusual trouble with skip-ahead

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:42:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> My crusty old 0.21 FE/BE setup has been as close to "appliance" as any
> machine/software I've made in 30 years. It's coming up on six years old now
> and starting to exhbit some odd symptoms that feel like the DB is at fault
> somehow. Maybe. I run the optimize/repair thing every Sunday and it's never
> reported an error. I also run a full SmartDisk scan on Sunday and it
> doesn't report errors. Here are 2 curious symptoms:
>
> I have been following the NBA finals on TSN (in Canada, they get the feed
> from ESPN). I use the 30-second skip for commercials instead of
> commflagging. For the last 4 games I've started watching about an hour into
> the game, sometimes SkipAhead sends me to the end of the recording no
> matter where I am in the recording. If I skip back and skip ahead, same
> thing. I work around it by skipping back and setting a bookmark, then
> exiting and reentering the recording.
>
> Another odd thing is that occasionally for a recording pressing SkipAhead
> freezes the video and chipmunks the audio. If I wait for it to get to the
> end of the recording and return to the menu all is fine again. Nothing but
> bookmarking (the OK button on my remote) works - I can set and clear, but
> the only way to clear things up is to wait for the recording to chipmunk
> its way to the end, or to kill mythfrontend and restart watching from the
> bookmark.
>
> I know the box is old, but it's been rock-solid, isn't overheating or
> anything unusual, and still works fine except for these two things that
> started happening within the last couple months. Anything other than "old
> age" that I could look at?

i'm not really sure what's happening but it might be useful to provide
a little more info: does this behavior only happen on an in-progress
recording? when the recording finishes are you able to watch and skip
normally? what else is the BE doing when you see this behavior? are
there multiple recordings happening and do you see this behavior on
every recording?

might also be useful to state whether this is a combined be/fe or if
you see this behavior on a remote fe.

not sure right now but i may have a few ideas...