[mythtv-users] 0.25 Major AV sync problems

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jun 19 18:12:31 UTC 2012

On 19/06/12 17:29, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2012-06-19, at 4:26 AM, David Moore wrote:
>
>> On 19/06/12 16:24, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>>
>>> it's bizarre that it's not something everyone would see
>>
>> And now that I grep the code for "AVSync" I find that mythplayer.cpp has a bunch of functions which appear to handle audio/video sync. And there appears to be different A/V sync code in ffplay.c. Hmmm. Starts to make sense. I think the A/V sync code for any media player would likely be in the player code rather than a shared library because it would be largely codec independent. This would also explain why mythfrontend.real and mythffplay can use the same libraries yet exhibit different A/V sync behaviour.
>
> To add another datapoint I see major A/V sync problems with HLS streams - when someone on camera is speaking their lips are nowhere near their words. I don't have a good sense of when it started happening  but I'm pretty sure it was after the post-.25 ffmpeg sync.
>
> - George

Hi: I haven't seen the sync problem. I still have 0.24.3 and an ageing
0.25-fixes.  But I do see the error message:

Try to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 128 | sudo tee
/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc

In Fedora I don't use sudo, but the reports stop if I do it as su.
It doesn't survive a reboot.  Can I do that?

TIA,

John P