[mythtv-users] How to record a TV serial

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 19 12:15:31 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:11 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 18.06.2012 18:26, Stephan Seitz wrote:
>> I tried manual recording first, and everything worked as expected.
>> To get the meta information I am using the programming guide
>> (Programmübersicht in my German version). But what ever I try, this is
>> not reliable. The EPG information of Pro 7 are about three days ahead.
>> So in the case of Galileo for example I expect the following if I set
>> the recording on Sunday morning: the recording plan (Aufnahmeplan in
>> German) should show a Galileo recording from Sunday to Wednesday. At
>> Monday the list should show Galileo on Thursday as well.
>
> Are you setting up a rule to a specific time? looking at the guide e.g.
> Galileo is +/- 1 minute in the evening and +/-3 minutes in the morning.
>
>> But this doesn’t really work. Instead of seeing the recordings from
>> Sunday to Wednesday, it can happen that Monday is missing, even if
>> Galileo is shown in the programming guide. Sometimes an entry is
>> vanishing from the list, e.g. I see the Tuesday recording on Monday, but
>> if I check on Tuesday, the planned recording has vanished.
>
> If the start time changes and you only record at a specific time you
> might get this behavior.
>
>> I tried to deactivate the check for recurrence, but it doesn’t change
>> anything. Taff has the same problems.
>
> The guide data for taff looks the same.
>
>> Now I’m wondering if this is a problem with the channel Pro 7 or with
>> mythtv. For now I will get back to manual recordings because this is
>> more reliable.
>
> Your recording rules should be "record all" for both shows. If you have
> anything else you are doing something wrong.
> ("record all on this channel" would work, too. But I avoid it to keep
> things simple. e.g. when recording crime series that run on ZDF with
> repeats on ZDFneo)

Yes, if start or end time changes, you cannot use a timeslot recording
rule.  You must use an "any time" rule.  That includes "Record at any
time on any channel" or "Record at any time on channel <whatever>" or
"Find and record one showing of this title" (or its "each day" or "each
week" equivalents).

Timeslot rules are designed for something else, entirely, and should
almost never be used by anyone.  This is especially true since the case
for which they were designed generally no longer exists.

If the title changes, you'll need to either use a manual recording rule
or a custom/power recording rule.

Mike