[mythtv-users] scan imports not working and FiOS

Brian Sanders brian.sanders at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:45:59 UTC 2012

I am running .25 pulled again last night, and complied on CentOS 6.2.  In
my attempts to understand the channels I think I am seeing a bug in
importing previous channel scans.  I'll try and explain what I am doing and
see if anyone knows if this is me or a bug I should file.

I have a new FiOS setup, and just trying to see what my HDHomerun can find.
 When I run mythtv-setup, I find my tuner and do a scan to find channels.
 This takes HOURS to run, but at the end it finds channels of multiple
different types (DVB, ATSC, MPEG, etc).  It even finds some "conflicting"
channels.  Not being 100% sure I added everything it found to the list.
 Then I hit the button to fetch from my schedules direct account, which as
I understand it should try and map the XMLID tags to my channels.  I end up
with very few channels having XLMID tags and some that are repeated across
multiple channels.

Not fully understanding what all the different types of channels are, I
decided to delete all channels with the channel editor.  This works as
expected, and I was going to just import one type of channel and see what
they are.  Instead of scanning, I select to import from a previous scan.
 It shows the scan I did just prior and this time I select to import only
the ATSC (the first ones it finds) and deny all the rest.  I even told it
to delete XYZ number of "unused" transports.  This is where the bug seems
to be through.  No matter what I do, nothing is ever imported from my
previous scan.  I have tried importing EVERYTHING like I did after the scan
was successful, I have tried only importing some types, and nothing
changes.  After doing the "import" the screen is blank looking and hitting
finish and going to the channel editor shows no channels.

I finally decided last night to try one more full scan.  This time I
imported Everything except the conflicting channels.  Sure enough the full
scan adds all the channels I asked for, but alas my XLMTV ID's are still
very far from correct.  I also avoided importing "conflicting" channels
this last time, so I really don't know if I missed any channels as I am not
really sure what hundreds of "unused" transports, DVB/ATSC/MPEG/SETC/ etc
is telling me.

I would just play around with this more to try and figure out what all
these things are, but scanning takes multiple hours and it seems that
importing the same scan multiple times is just not working.  Between doing
the 2 scans last night, I pulled from git again, did a make dist clean, and
re-compiled and installed my mythtv to try and ensure this wasn't already
fixed.  It still wouldn't import, and that is when I did a second scan to
try and get some channel data back.

So I guess in summary my issues are...

1) Importing previous scans seems to fail (and costs many hours to re-do)
2) with my FiOS I really don't know what the different types are... which
ones should I import?
3) What are conflicting channels and "unused" transports?
4) How do XMLID tags get matched to Schedules Direct?  Matching most my
channels by hand could take a lot of time.  Is there some mapping that
others might have found, or if I do this by hand can I somehow keep my
mappings so others can benefit from my time doing it?

I have a HDHomerun Prime that I will be testing once I feel comfortable
with my HDHomerun and FiOS.  I just didn't want to mess with the cable card
and getting that setup until I at least am familiar with the setup process.
 It has been a few years since I have run my mythtv at home.

"Faithless is he, that says 'farewell', when the path darkens."