[mythtv-users] 8400GS -> GT 430 -> ?? (60Hz, VDPAU High Quality)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:51:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Gerald Brandt <gbr at majentis.com> wrote:
> Interesting. I can't run mine on VDPAU High Quality, it doesn't give smooth playback.  I have to go VDPAU Normal.  I have an ASUS gt430 with a fan (ugh) and .25 fixes.  My provider is Shaw and I use an HDPVR to record.

With a .uk address, Andre likely views more 50Hz content
(and he stated he has a factory overclocked 430 which would
help with any 60Hz content which he might obtain), and Shaw
cable suggests a 60Hz country, and you did not indicate if
your 430 was overclocked.  These may all be contributors
to the "it works fine"/"the playback glitches" back and forth
on list.

The most recent review I am aware of for the HTPC GPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discrete-htpc-gpus-shootout
shows that (in Windows, with its different drivers and
capabilities) the GT520 and the GT430 have artifacts in
de-interlacing observable both in the lab and practice
(they also discussed many other facets of the various
nVidia and ATI cards performance).  Your experience will vary.

Gary