[mythtv-users] recommendations for small frontend

Zarthan South zarthan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:37:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm adding a TV to my exercise room and need to build a new frontend -
> which is something I haven't done for a while, and I haven't seen any
> build recommendations on the list for a while.
>
> My last two frontends were built with Zotac ION motherboards in M350
> cases.  Other than flash playback, these have worked out great using
> VDPAU.
>
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a build - all the usual
> characteristics - quiet, quick and cheap.

Just to help me understand. Why isn't one of the many many dozens of small
internet TV devices a more appropriate frontend for some secondary TVs. I
don't use Myth as a FE and probably only because I use Netflix and Amazon.
I didn't particularly like Myth as a frontend 4 or 5 years ago and only use
the BE for recording.  Today we depend on DLNA and Mythweb from a Logitech
Revue to interact with the backend. I don't know the current abilities of
the Roku app for Myth but that would make a great small inexpensive MythTV
viewer. I have a Roku or two so I should give it a try myself. We have a 3D
BD player that does a great job as a DLNA player. It also gives us access
to a great long list of streaming sources. And Smart TVs have DLNA and the
ability to add / build apps.

So wouldn't it be an appropriate time to consider whether the Myth frontend
is the most appropriate device behind our TVs. Just a though.