[mythtv-users] Configuring the system - not understanding some things

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 08:48:16 UTC 2012

Alan Chandler wrote:

>I have just purchased a Pinnicle TV nanostick T2 290e which will
>give me DVB T2 capability and receive the HD channels.
>
>I would like things setup so that for recordings
>
>A) If I request an HD channel recording it automatically selects the
>Pinnicle device
>B) If I request a Non HD channel recording it gives preference to
>the Nova T device, but if there is a conflict to choose the Pinnicle
>Device if its free
>C) If I request an HD channel recording and the Pinnicle device is
>scheduled to record a non HD channel, the HD channel takes priority
>and the Non HD channel is not recorded.
>D) I would like MythTV to find an HD version of a program if
>possible and use that, rather than a non HD version (eg make BBC 1
>and BBC 1 HD synonymous with BBC 1 HD higher priority)

You need to create two sources - attach the Nova card to one source,
and the Pinacle card to the other. Do full scans on both.
You will now have a channel list where there are two BBC1 SD channels
- one per input, but only one BBC1 HD. AIUI, if they have the same
name, they will only appear once in the listings.

Your requirement A is automatically catered for - HD recordings can
only be done from the input with the HD channels.

I don't believe B matters - though i stand to be corrected on that.
The scheduler should work it all out automagically. Ditto C.

I believe D can be catered for by adding a custom priority rule. You
can add a rule that says "if the program is HD, add <n> to the
recording priority" (or you might have to do it by channel). Thus a
rule which matches a program on BBC1 with a default priority of 0,
would have a priority of (say) +1 on BBC1 HD and 0 on BBC1 - so it
would normally record on HD if possible.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Pinnacle, I rather
fancy HD myself. I've got 2xHVR1300 cards at the moment.
--
Simon Hobson