[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 01:51:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> > wrote:

>>> It's a defective TV and it's not power saving that is causing it. The
>>> EDID
>>> circuitry should be powered by the device connecting to the TV so that
>>> it works
>>> when the TV is off. There are power wires in VGA, DVI and HDMI
>>> specifically for
>>> this. The circuitry is very simple, basically just a tiny EPROM. I would
>>> guess
>>> that the TV manufacturer has decided to cut costs by only having one and
>>> connecting it up to the active input rather than have one per input or
>>> doing
>>> something smarter. FYI my Sony Bravia does the right thing on HDMI and
>>> VGA inputs.
>>>
>>>  ...which might imply that one solution could be to try with your mythtv
>> connected to each HDMI input in turn. I have a Hitachi TV with two HDMI
>> inputs and they are definitely different in operation depending on what's
>> connected where. In my case, HDMI2 is the only one with an "exact-PC" scale
>> option.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins

> Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I tried it but didn't work for me. There
> also some lets call them advance settings for the HDMI in the TV (like
> power on/off the device connected etc) but, as usual for Sony, they are
> supported for Sony equipment only :-(
>
> I tried everything available in the driver and nothing worked so I guess
> I'll have to live with it for now (until my next TV upgrade)

Just a follow up on this. It is definitely fglrx issue and this is the
raised bug link:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/958279

Basically if the monitor/TV turns off there is no way to bring the desktop
back after switching it back on.

I't is against same Catalyst 12.2 I'm running on my system. If you follow
the link to ATI bug report site you will see the bug hasn't been even
assigned yet so we might be waiting for the fix for some time :P

Igor