[mythtv-users] Remote frontends can't connect following Mythbuntu update

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:27:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 2012 5:16 AM, "scram69" <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ran the update manager on my Mythbuntu 12.04 backend (I know, bad
>> idea) last week, and discovered that remote frontends could no longer
>> connect.
>>
>> Here's the frontend log message:
>>
>> 2012-05-20 19:48:53.809600 E  Unable to connect to database!
>> 2012-05-20 19:48:53.809640 E  Driver error was [1/2003]:
>> QMYSQL: Unable to connect
>> Database error was:
>> Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (61)
>>
>> My backend has the static IP address above: I hadn't changed that or
>> anything in the frontends' settings.
>>
>> I checked /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and config.xml - nothing had changed.
>> In desperation, I changed the mysql password for the mythtv user from
>> the Mythbuntu random gibberish to "mythtv".  While that wreaked havoc
>> with mythweb, it still did not fix the problem.
>>
>> What I finally discovered was that the update had edited an obscure
>> file called /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf.  Inexplicably, it was
>> changed from
>>
>> [mysqld]
>> bind-address=0.0.0.0

>> [mysqld]
>> #bind-address=0.0.0.0
>>
>> The net effect was that the mysql server no longer listened for
>> frontends on the network, only for the local frontend.  Removing the
>> "#" character solved the problem.
>>
>> I figured I'd post here in case anyone else had been screwed over by
>> the update manger recently.  Any idea why the Mythbuntu update would
>> mess around with mysql that way?
>
> Same happened during my upgrade too! Thanks for posting though, this will
> catch a lot of people out.
>
> Martin

As a test of Mythbuntu, I ran update manager again today, and sure
enough, the Mythbuntu update disables remote front ends.  I don't
believe this is deliberate, so I'm wondering what I've got wrong in my
configuration that would be causing this.  Is there another place
where the mysql "bind address" gets set, so that this one can be
commented out as necessary?