[mythtv-users] Tricky to diagnose hardware problem

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 21:56:08 UTC 2012

Damian wrote:

>>Unless you were running a UPS

Don't forget that unless you have a double conversion UPS, and very
few small units are, then it will offer very little protection
against such faults - basically about what a half decent surge
protector would give you (not a lot).

>I was unclear in my original post. The machine in question was
>running a USP, and both the USP and the machine's power supply were
>killed by the power surge. I have no idea how my other machine
>survived, but people all over our small town are getting damaged
>pieces of equipment replaced by the electricity company.

Then it's most likely damaged the main board - I've had that in the past.

--
Simon Hobson